Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dult Fest and a German Baseball Game





The first week of classes flew by, and it was time for the weekend. Although the group did not travel, we had plans for Dult Fest. Dult Fest is Regensburg bi-annual festival/carnival. There are tons of rides and German foods. My friend, Jessica, does German dancing in St. Louis and brought her dirndl with her to Germany. She wore it, along with hundreds of other German women, to the festival. To our surprise during dinner, Terry, a guy on the program with me, walked up in a lederhosen and just about brought the house down. Towards the end of the night, fireworks went off about 10 o'clock that were impressive. The Dult Fest continues for the next 2 weeks, so I am sure I will be going again.
This morning I decided to sleep until I woke up, with no alarm clock, for the first time in months. However, the clock read 8:09 this morning. I had a productive morning of making oatmeal and hot tea, doing laundry, and going grocery shopping. I went to the Netto for yogurt, stopped in the bakery for 2 wheat baquettes, then into the butcher's shop for black forest ham. I already know I will miss the walking distance of those 3 stores when I get back to the states.
My friends and I planned to bike ride to some castle ruins today, but received an invite at noon to attend a German baseball game, which was once in a lifetime probably. I didn't even know baseball was in Germany or that it would only cost 4 Euro. The Basil's, John Griffin, Jessica, Jennifer, and I all went to the game. The teachers were surprised only girls showed up, but I guess the boys on the program decided to not go. The six of us had so much fun sitting on the second row closest to the field. We would have sat on the first row, but we could barely see over the fence. The Regensburg team won 10 to 1. After the game, we saw the shop had a sign for Louisville Slugger, and I just had to get my picture with it. Overall, the Saturday was a fun, relaxing day!


1 comment: