Monday, December 6, 2010

Christkindal Markts



















Although the Germans do not celebrate Thanksgiving, they do celebrate Christmas in a big way! Before the beginning of December, Christkindal Markts take place all over Germany until December 24th. Christkindal Markts consist of temporary wooden shops or booths. They sell all kinds of gifts from ornaments to jewelry, clothing, and other handmade goods. The markts also have lots of food like Gluhwein (hot wine), roasted nuts, sausages, cheeses, and more baked goods.
I had a day on my eurail left to use on the trains so I took a day trip to Bamberg, Germany to see their Christmas Markets and to view the Black Forest. I heard about black forest cake so I tried some in Bamberg. Black Forest cake is chocolate cake layered with whip cream and cherries. I used the cake and coffee as a break from the cold temperatures. While on the train, I saw the first snow of the winter season. I bought a few small things to bring back as gifts from the markets but mostly enjoyed all of the decorations.
Germany decorates similarly to the states with lights, trees, and bows. As I update the blog, Regensburg has at least a foot of snow on the ground. I am impressed with how the town handles snow. The plows are out and public transportation is still working. I even went to the grocery store (for bread of course) and did not find a nervous mob of people. I wish I had snow gear so I could play in it or a snowmobile to go around town. Only two more days until I leave Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment