Monday, October 11, 2010

Getting to Hungary




Rarely do two girls leave for a weekend trip to Hungary at the ages of 19 and 20, and both return 20 and 21. Jessica and I decided to celebrate our birthdays with our friends on the trip at a little mexican restaurant called Margaritas before getting on an all night train to Budapest on Wednesday evening. I split some spicy chips and salsa and a quesadilla with a friend. Mexican food in Germany is more expensive than in the states, but it tastes a lot better!
We left the restaurant with plenty of time to go home and grab our suit cases. Briona and Jennifer surprised Jessica and I with a cookie cake with sprinkles in the shape of the letters "A & J." We didn't have time to eat the dessert, but we put in a zip lock back for later. It was a very sweet gesture of them and very thoughtful. We said our goodbyes and walked outside to the bus stop....
I failed to check one detail of our trip, the bus schedule. It was 9:15, no bus came until 9:33, and our train left at 9:41. The time did not add up and we were forced to run to the train station. Normally, I just use a back-pack for weekends, but this weekend I had extra bags to give things to my family. Jessica and I both start running, only stopping when we have to cross a street. We literally stepped off the platform and onto the train at 9:41 just before the train left. It was a crazy beginning to our trip. We sat in the first seats we came too and drank some of my huge bottle of water. Once we laughed off the beginning to our evening, we worked on homework until the transfer at Munich. Finally in Munich, we pulled out our smooshed bag of cookie cake and took 2 spoons to the dessert. Even though the trip did not goes as planned, we had a great time laughing at the effort it took to get to Hungary.
Once in Budapest, we had to get on a bus and metro to transfer to another Budapest station. The Hungarians feel no need to know German or English so it made communication quite complicated. Almost by pure luck, we got on the correct train and arrive in Debrecen at 11:52 a.m. on Thursday! I looked around for a balloon vehicle while Jessica asked if we should call somebody. I scanned the cars and saw one with huge magnets of U.S.A. and 'Balloonpong' and I knew who was in there, my mom! After 2 months apart, we were very happy to see each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment