Monday, October 11, 2010

Debrecen, Hungary




















Although Hungary is not my favorite country I have visited so far, the countryside of Debrecen was beautiful.
Jessica and I arrived in time to shower and eat lunch before the evening balloon briefing. We sat with Chase and Jamie in the back while Chase updated balloonpong. Jessica and I enjoyed seeing all of the countries represented at worlds and following Nick in the chase vehicle. For dinner that evening, the American pilots had a nice dinner at the hotel before going to sleep to wake up at 4:30 a.m. for the morning flight.
I woke up to many 'Happy Birthdays' from friends and family. Later that day I opened cards and presents. I got a balloonpong t-shirt, some American goodies like oatmeal, m&ms, a cake mix and frosting, and my favorite movie on dvd, The Young Victoria. One thing I missed most about not being in the states was not watching movies. Since I spent the summer in Orlando and practically went straight to Germany, I had missed my chick flicks. My dad compiled the greatest chick flicks in one container, with one exception. He put Top Gun in the very last slot. I still need to ask him about his logic with that one because I'm confused myself. Chase said, "it's a classic."
My sweet mom asked the hotel's permission to bake the cake mix she had brought. So at dinner that night, the lights went out and the birthday song started. I was really just expecting the yellow cake and chocolate frosting, but there were 2 huge firework sparklers coming out the top and candles for me and Jessica! I guess that's how the Hungarians celebrate for birthdays! I cut the cake for us and the rest of the Americans on the trip. We all appreciated a taste of home.
At the end of the weekend, Nick took 2nd in the 2010 World Hot Air Balloon Competition. I am so very proud of him! Mom dropped Jessica and I off at the train station for a very long day home. The trains did not go as planned, but we finally made it home at 1 a.m. The weekend to Hungary is not one I would repeat, but I'm glad I got to see my mom and brothers and turn 20! Looking back on the past year, I have made it through my first year of college, lived in Orlando where I grew immensely in my faith in the Lord, and survived 2 months in Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment